Thursday, June 7, 2012

Yay Catherine!

I was feeling very displeased with Heathcliff for the way he handled his relationship with young Catherine, Linton, and Hareton so I was extremely happy to see the following in the book:

“I know he has a bad nature,” said Catherine: “he’s your son. But I’m glad I’ve a better, to forgive it; and I know he loves me, and for that reason I love him. Mr. Heathcliff, you have nobody to love you; and, however miserable you make us, we shall still have the revenge of thinking that your cruelty arises from your greater misery! You are miserable are you not? Lonely, like the devil, and envious like him? Nobody loves you – nobody will cry for you when you die! I wouldn’t be you!"
I'm so glad she stands up for herself and shows him that she is the bigger person in forgiving him for the many times he was out of line in his actions and words. She also makes sure that he is reminded that he is going through his frustration and anger because he knows he is alone and that he is not going to be with Catherine (at least not during his lifetime). She also disses him by saying that Linton's "bad nature" is natural since he's Heathcliff's son. Boom roasted!
               

No comments:

Post a Comment