Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Emily Bronte

The women behind it all, Emily Bronte is an English novelist who wrote Wuthering Heights. She was born on July 30, 1818 in Thornton Bradford, Yorkshire and died December 19, 1848 in Haworth. Her parents were Patrick Bronte and Maria Branwell and she was the fifth of six children. She had published her solitary book under the pen name of Ellis Bell. Right before Bronte passed away, she published Wuthering Heights in 1847, and was said to have been writing a second novel but the manuscript was never found.

2 comments:

  1. I think that Emily Bronte is an excellent writer and she is one of my favorites when compared to other classic writers such as Jane Austen. Her story lines are so much more interesting because she incorporates many aspects into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I haven't read Jane Austen but I've seen the movies for a lot of the books and I've heard about them from others. Apparently her books are quite slow moving at times. I think Wuthering Heights had a lot going on throughout the book. Though there were some incredibly lengthy descriptions of things, I grew somewhat fond of her style of writing, long details and all! I also liked the switching of narrators and how at times it seemed a bit like a play because all we saw was the dialogue going back and forth.

      Delete