Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Horror Story?

If anybody had ever mentioned Wuthering Heights to me, my immediate reaction would it was a romantic book similar to Pride and Prejudice and Romeo and Juliet. However, in chapter 3, the story unexpectedly contained writing that was more similar to horror story rather than love story. Lockwood has a dream of a dead girl, Catherine Linton, and accidentally grabs her ghostly hand. He also finds pictures and her diary. Although all very eerie and mysterious, I hope the book does not continue on in this manner.

1 comment:

  1. I was scared so badly by the ghost part! I too hoped that the rest wouldn't be like that. I also wanted all references to ghosts to be done with (which it was so I was incredibly grateful for that). However, the rest of the book still had a great deal of violence and cruelty from characters that I didn't exactly expect such things from (like HeathCliff). I was thinking Wuthering Heights would be osmewhat like a Jane Austen story but it really was not (though I've only watched Jane Austen movies, I haven't read the books).

    ReplyDelete