Saturday, June 2, 2012

First Impression

The first few chapters of this book, I think, are slightly confusing. The old English and the many transitions between point-of-view, from Lockwood's diary, to Catherine's diary, and to his conversations with Nelly, make the storyline hard to follow. Additionally, the many characters that are involved in the plot are way to elaborate; there are the Linton's, the Heathcliff's, the Earnshaw's, and the many different Catherine's. I really hope Wuthering Heights gets easier to understand as we get deeper into the book.

2 comments:

  1. I too found the first few chapters confusing. I didn't like how the story was set and all of the ghosts and confusions. I had expected a very romantic book similar to Pride and Prejudice. However, my feelings changed at about chapter 4 as the story told Heathcliff's childhood and the beginning of his romance with Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found the first couple of chapters confusing mainly because of how the book was written (in old english). I found it hard to follow between Catharines diary and Lockwoods diary as well but as the book progressed it became more interesting and easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete